Anime of 2019
What a year! Such a year in fact, there's a review dedicated to each half:
This review is about the highlights of the year as whole.
To summarize, here's the list of everything I watched this year in order:
- Made in Abyss
- Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
- Your Name. (Movie)
- Devilman Crybaby
- A Place Further Than The Universe
- Amagi Brilliant Park
- Banana fish
- Food Wars!
- That time I got reincarnated as a slime
- Hi Score Girl
- Kaguya-Sama: Love is War
- Mob Psycho 100 2
- No Game No Life
- Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
- No Game No Life Zero (Movie)
- Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
- Agreretsko Season 2
- The Saga of Tanya the Evil
- Fate/Stay night: Heaven’s feel Part 1 (Movie)
- Redline (Movie)
- Isekai Quartet
- A Silent Voice (Movie)
- One Punch Man Season 2
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Arrow of the Orion (Movie)
- In this corner of the world (Movie)
- Princess Mononoke (Movie)
- Pokemon 4Ever (Movie)
- Rising of the Shield Hero
- Goblin Slayer
- AnoHana (Movie)
- The Devil is a Part-Timer!
- Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa (Movie)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (Movie)
- Ouran High School Host Club
- Gabriel DropOut!
- Demon Slayer
- Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon? 2
- Angel Beats!
- Akame ga Kill!
- Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
- Ms. Vampire who lives in my neighborhood.
- Black Fox (Movie)
- Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku
- Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (Movie)
- Fate/Stay night: Heaven’s feel Part 2 (Movie)
- Lupin the Third; The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
- Ping Pong The Animation
- Dr. Stone
- Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
- Noragami Aragoto
- Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
- Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Ranking and review
We'll only be considering the top anime in each category from the previous halves' reviews. Plus some flexibility to adjust by the H1 picks since I've had more time to digest them.
H1: Nichijou vs H2: The Devil is a Part-Timer!
Nichijou. No contest here.
Also in H1, No Game No Life and its movie stand out as being highly re-watchable.
H1: Your Name vs H2: Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Your Name set the bar and kept it all year.
H1: Kaguya-Sama: Love is War vs H2: Dr. Stone
The goliath, the master of the nonsensical niche, Kaguya-Sama just is the funniest show of the year.
H1: Made in Abyss vs H2: Dr. Stone
Ultimately, both of these shows have yet to fully unfold. From what I've been able to see, Dr. Stone has delivered on its concept really well. However, Made in Abyss: everything in its short few episodes makes me think it won't be stepping off the gas petal.
H1: Mob Psycho 2 vs H2: Akame ga Kill!
This is a tough one. Mob Psycho as a consistent voice through sajou no hana, matches the season's new style, but as a soundtrack it's lost steam for me today. Akame ga Kill! I revisit all the time, is composed of various artists, and doesn't mesh with the show as well. It comes down to what a soundtrack should be, and I do feel a consistent voice matching the tone of the show is what a great soundtrack is. Akame ga Kill! has great songs, but I don't listen to it as one soundtrack.
Best single of the year still is H1's Brave Shine from Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works. Aimer certainly is the artist of the year, representing almost a fourth of music I've collected this year.
H1: Shizue from That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime vs H2: Hiyori from Noragami
In this match up, Hiyori wins by a landside. She's a much more developed character. However, neither are best girl for the year.
Upon further review, Mai from Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (H1 honorable mention) has been crowned best girl.
What's in store for 2020?
It honestly hurts to see the first half of the year sweep the overall top spots. At this rate, I think I will hit a point of diminishing returns on niche anime. Perhaps in 2020, I'll have to start watching anime people actually talk about.
Until then though, I have a lot queued up to watch next year. Having watched so many shows, many of which have not ended, it feels like I have many active threads to keep me busy.
With 46 shows and 16 movies watched, will 2019 go down in history as my most active year in anime? Oh god, I hope so. I need to get outside.
Thanks for taking the time to reflect on some anime with me!